Cooper weighs in

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 19 19:44:54 PDT 2001

> I agree Luke - what is to follow is probably closer to a "crime against
> humanity" than what transpired Sept. 11. That was rather a devastating
> reality check that has led to a number of people clearly losing their
> sense of perspective, yourself included evidently. Yes, my first
> sentence was deliberately misconstruing your words, in case you're
> wondering. I felt since they were clearly without cohesion or rationale
> they were up for grabs.
>
> Cheers
>
> Zak

I'd best not be the judge of my own rationality or lack thereof. However, the logic that "US imperialism is to blame for the acts of terrorism visited upon it" does seem quite similar to the reasoning that will surely be used in right-wing apologia for whatever military action the US employs: "the terrorism which provoked the US military action against (insert terrorist sect or nation here) is ultimately at fault for the (x number) of casualties incurred by (said sect or nation)."

(BTW, you didn't "misconstrue" my words. Apparently you have a penchant for seeing subtexts where none are present. I believe that the military action will likely be much closer to a "crime against humanity"--or, more precisely, a crime against a far greater number of persons--than last week's terrorist attack.)

-- Luke