Citibank hit?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Sep 20 05:00:25 PDT 2001

At 06:30 PM 9/19/01 -0700, Ian Murray wrote:

>========
>I got my disinfo from an article in the Wash Post which I can't find
>on their site anymore. Happy to be wrong...
><...>
>Ian

i forwarded the below from nettime under the subject heading: Tracking top firms, WTC analysis <nettime>. It's like some sort of inverse of a stratificaiton analysis of the Titanic or sumpin':

With respect to last week's events, it is interesting to note several summaries which are especially apparent from 3D data visualization:

* Firms with relatively more employees and more shareholder equity tended to take less damage.

* Older firms or those with relatively more assets tended to take more damage.

* Firms with relatively less assets tended to take less damage and may tend to realize subsequent profits.

* Of the financial firms listed among the world's largest, 9 of 13 either had direct hits during the explosions or were insurers for the properties and businesses involved.

* Worst hit among the world's largest firms included:

J.P. Morgan Chase

General Electric Company

The Boeing Company

Mizuho Holdings

Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A.

Bank of America Corporation

Verizon Communications

Deutsche Bank AG

Allianz AG

Again, these summaries have been derived from cluster analysis of the transnational firms with the highest annual revenues. Most of these top firms emerge from only a few select industries: automotive, energy, finance, technology, retail, and telecom. In general, finance suffered while energy may benefit.

Nearly one third of the world's top firms (16 of 51) are based in Japan, which overall tends to enjoy good relations with Islamic countries. With the exception of the financial giant Mizuho Holdings -- and to a lesser extent Itochu Corporation and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. -- Japan fared relatively well. However, Japanese firms will likely suffer substantial secondary effects that further delay a regional economic recovery.

A generalization of events with respect purely to the impact on transnational corporations is that those engaged in investment banking and the industrial basis for the defense sector suffered or will suffer, relatively speaking, more than other commercial interests. Financial firms especially tended to be ones engaged in ethically controversial global economic development. The loss of civil life represents a terrible tragedy; however, from the perspective of analyzing transnationals, the aftermath of the explosions signifies an arguably meticulous infrastructure hit on the respective nerve centers for military and economic warfare conducted against the Third World from which many American and European firms have profited over time.

----

The Ceteri Institute is a private research group, focused on the analysis of transnational corporations, and sponsored by:

Famous Aspect, Inc.

7301 Burnet Rd, Suite 102-211

Austin TX USA 78757

For more information, see http://famous.aspect.to/study/ceteri/