Some meat for conspiracy discussion

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 20 05:58:49 PDT 2001

Zak McGregor wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:12:18 -0500
> Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Probably. The second paragraph stands. The third notes an unpleasant
> > complication, a reflection of one of my few continuing grudges --
> > against the WEathermen.
>
> OK, I have a very vague idea of the Weathermen. Does anyone have any
> links to info about them please?
>
> And Carrol, is your objection based on the use of force to acheive
> idealogical ends?

No. My objection was the very old marxist objection to individualist action which undermines collective action and divides the working class against itself. I have no objections in principle to the use of force, though almost all uses of force by states -- e.g., the u.s. prison system, war on drugs, all u.s. use of military force since around June 1945 -- are to be rejected. I have no objection to pickets breaking the skulls of scabs -- IF the political context is such that the general response of other workers is positive. In Jack Belden _China Shakes the World_ describes accompanying an "unofficial" guerilla group (a group not under party discipline) on a mission. They kidnapped and executed a landlord who had made himself particularly obnoxious. (Even or especially his wife didn't object to the execution.) That was approaching the borderline of acceptable violence, but still clearly acceptable.

Carrol

Carrol