My Rightwing take on Sept 11

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Thu Sep 20 08:34:14 PDT 2001

doug wrote: I'm thinking about what I should write in a longer piece on this for the next LBO (which is about to awake from its overlong estivation). I've hinted at it here - how do you bring up the blowback-from-imperialism argument wihtout sounding callous? How can you see something as a monstrous crime at the same time you try to understand where it came from?

well, carefully--but most important, i think, without apologetics for making the point. be matter-of-fact.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 10:23 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: My Rightwing take on Sept 11

Todd Archer wrote:

>Nathan said:
>
>>Since folks have been bemoaning the winnowing of the "rightwing" on LBO, I
>>thought I'd make my contribute to diversity with this column on Sept 11.
>
>Your article was indeed a great and much cooled-off repetition of Leo's
>last posts, Nathan. Congratulations.

Had Leo written like that, instead of in great torrents of insulting bombast, we'd have been better off.

>What I'm (ghoulishly?) curious about, though, is how our other LBO-ers
>who are from New York felt with regards to "context/fingerpointing" talk
>on this list. Doug? Michael? Neither of you reacted at all, much less
>in the same manner as Leo. Your thoughts, if you don't mind?

I'm thinking about what I should write in a longer piece on this for the next LBO (which is about to awake from its overlong estivation). I've hinted at it here - how do you bring up the blowback-from-imperialism argument wihtout sounding callous? How can you see something as a monstrous crime at the same time you try to understand where it came from?

There's an article in today's NYT saying that New Yorkers are reacting in a much less bellicose fashion than people elsewhere. Here's a quote:

>"It's easy to call for blood when you live in Des Moines," said
>Terrance Kincaid, 37, an insurance broker from Queens. "We have seen
>the horrific consequences of aggression. For the rest of the
>country, it's still just a bunch of television images."

Doug