SZ on "Seattle"

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Thu Sep 20 10:15:19 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 6:57 AM Subject: SZ on "Seattle"

> I'm just now transcribing my interview with Slavoj Zizek, which will
> appear soon in Punk Planet. A lot of it is about the movement often
> identified in the U.S. with the word "Seattle," and a lot of what he
> had to say sounded a bit antique after September 11. I asked him to
> comment on that, and here's his answer:
>
> >I think it is PRECISELY NOW - after the WTC collapse - that the
> >"Seattle" task will regain its full urgency! After a period of
> >retaliation-enthuisiasm, there will be a new (ideological)
> >depression, and THAT point will be our chance!!!
>
> Desperately seeking optimism,
>
> Doug
============= Most Seattleites I talk to have no desire to claim ownership of any kind for "Seattle" or jump starting collective action in 'the North' in allying with social justice movement[s] in 'the South'. We just had our fingers on the pulse of history; after all it rains a lot here so we read a lot of history and stuff, 'cause, well, tv sucks......:-)

Ian