A Suggestion for Leftist Rhetoric

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:48:40 PDT 2001

>We should focus on the motivation of the sane, not the insane. We
>should emphasize the feelings of the everyday Muslim, not the small
>group of psychotics who make up the Taliban. There has been a lot of
>talk about "blowback." Cause-and-effect should not be ignored, but
>irrationality fights against such mechanical explanations. I believe
>we should accept the WTC attack as an act of insanity and leave it at
>that. We should not argue that if the US government had been more
>critical of Israel, then the Trade Center would still be standing. We
>should argue that such acts of madness become the dominant driving
>force behind history as long as we do not admit to our own errors.
>
> -- David.

If we accept the WTC attack as an act of "insanity" and leave it at that, why should we "admit to our own errors"? What's the relation between the act of "insanity" and "our own errors"? Besides, the "errors" of the U.S. government are not necessarily those of citizens & resident in the USA, so I object to the possessive "our" that qualifies "errors." Moreover, what do you mean by "errors"?

Yoshie