Jane's: Saddam

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 20 15:43:41 PDT 2001

You could. But note at the end they say don't invade anybody. Just kill selectively, which they can do themselves when they want to. Who knows who to believe.

In this sense the coming "war" invests the government with complete discretion in the use of force, since evaluation of who is guilty and who is not will be impossible for anyone not privy to classified information.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Perelman Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 6:20 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Jane's: Saddam

Could you say that the Israeli information is a bit self-serving?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 05:40:31PM -0400, Max Sawicky wrote:
> >From yesterday's Jane's Intelligence "Foreign Report":

> Who did it? Foreign Report presents an alternative view
>
> Israel's military intelligence service, Aman, suspects that Iraq is the
> state that sponsored the suicide attacks on the New York Trade Center and
> the Pentagon in Washington. Directing the mission, Aman officers believe,
> were two of the world's foremost terrorist masterminds: the Lebanese Imad
> Mughniyeh, head of the special overseas operations for Hizbullah, and the
> Egyptian Dr Ayman Al Zawahiri, senior member of Al-Qaeda and possible
> successor of the ailing Osama Bin Laden.
>
> The two men have not been seen for some time. Mughniyeh is probably the
> world's most wanted outlaw. Unconfirmed reports in Beirut say he has
> undergone plastic surgery and is unrecognisable. Zawahiri is thought to be
> based in Egypt. He could be Bin Laden's chief representative outside
> Afghanistan.
>
> The Iraqis, who for several years paid smaller groups to do their dirty
> work, were quick to discover the advantages of Al-Qaeda. The Israeli
sources
> claim that for the past two years Iraqi intelligence officers were
shuttling
> between Baghdad and Afghanistan, meeting with Ayman Al Zawahiri. According
> to the sources, one of the Iraqi intelligence officers, Salah Suleiman,
was
> captured last October by the Pakistanis near the border with Afghanistan.
> The Iraqis are also reported to have established strong ties with Imad
> Mughniyeh.
>
> "We've only got scraps of information, not the full picture," admits one
> intelligence source, "but it was good enough for us to send a warning six
> weeks ago to our allies that an unprecedented massive terror attack was
> expected. One of our indications suggested that Imad Mughniyeh met with
some
> of his dormant agents on secret trips to Germany. We believe that the
> operational brains behind the New-York attack were Mughniyeh and Zawahiri,
> who were probably financed and got some logistical support from the Iraqi
> Intelligence Service (SSO)."
>
> Mughniyeh was the only one believed to have tried it before. On April 12th
> 1997, he was reported to be only two hours away from achieving the highest
> goal of any terrorist organisation (until last week): blowing up an
Israeli

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu