Gitlin on the student peace movement

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Sep 20 17:19:56 PDT 2001

Hi,

I thought the great contribution of the SWP to the anti-war movement of the '60s was the demand that each demonstration had to have 20 slogans none of which related to each other and few of which related to the war in Vietnam.

Of course I was running the mimeograph machine for the other big faction of the left at the time.

Hey, how many united fronters from the 60's can finish this unfortunate doggerel I saw on the wall of the CP-tainted offices at the big DC demos in 71?

A chicken in every pot an ice ---- -- ----- ----

Anyway, we can't be too hard on the SWP in the 60's because such a large percentage of its membership were actually FBI informers.

Isn't nostalgia fun? I am looking forward to a Gitlin/Horowitz ticket as a third party entry next election. They can run against the Nader/Buchanan ticket.

-cb

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 7:44 PM Subject: Re: Gitlin on the student peace movement