Gitlin on the student peace movement

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Sep 21 05:14:13 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Archer" <arch0005 at algonquincollege.com>

Nathan said:
>Ah yes, the anti-Vietnam - longest in American history - War movement. So
>successful in fighting a war that was close to be abandoned in 1968, but
>managed to keep chugging along through genocidal bombing into 1973.
>Hopefully, this generation of activists can get us out of Kabul before the
>decade ends.

-So your criticism is meant to be translated as: your movement won't do -anything, so don't even bother to make one?

My criticism was of the tactics used fighting the Vietnam War, which were largely a failure, so I don't think we should be taking lessons from the SWP's strategy back then.

On the other hand, I have great confidence in our ability to challenge the current war fever, as I wrote. And great confidence in the current new generation of activists to try new better tactics that actually promote positive alternatives, rather than just a "no" strategy.

>BTW, you still haven't given me your take on execution, Nathan.

Execution of what?

-- Nathan Todd