A Suggestion for Leftist Rhetoric

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 07:28:14 PDT 2001

Marta Russell wrote:

> I'm going to make my objects to the use of "sane"
> and "insane" which
> seems to be such a common leftie language trap that
> already I have
> done this on three lists.
>
> One writer labels the Taliban a "cult of ignorant
> psychotics,"
> pundits and government officials have called them
> "madmen" and
> "insane". Then their is the use of the "sick
> people." These are all
> misuses of
> impairment and are built on assumptions of
> 'Normalcy."

Labeling those involved as "insane," in addition to what Marta points out, contributes no explanatory power and can only lead, it seems clear, to reactionary politics. As for "normalcy"--didn't Warren G. Harding coin the term? That in itself is testimony to its dubious floatingness as a signifier.

Alec

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/