Gloria Steinem to speak in Toledo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 21 07:55:29 PDT 2001

Stephen E Philion wrote:

>what's so slanderous about the accusation?
>
>Steve
>
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Diane Monaco wrote:
>
>> Macdonald, I find it even more dejecting that some would find it worthy to
>> highlight such slanderous accusations, from one's youth mind you, as
>> weighing in more than a full life of very meaningful and progressive
> > activities that have meant the world to many of us.

The Redstockings brought up Steinem's CIA past in a book chapter, to make the argument that Steinem - who emerged with a magazine, Ms., essentially from nowhere but with big support from New York Magazine and Warner Communications - had a conservatizing influence on feminism, and that given her past, one might be suspicious of her motives and origins. Who knows? But the book never appeared because she threatened to sue the publisher. You can still get the book, and the chapter, from Redstockings in Gainesville.

When I heard Steinem speak a couple of years ago at a little seminar at The Natoin's office, the thing she got most excited about was that heiresses are finally taking control of their family money. Her heroine in this great struggle was Sallie Bingham. Steinem is a clever writer, and she's done some good work, but she's deeply bourgeois.

Doug