SWP & Informers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 21 08:02:40 PDT 2001

Chip Berlet:
>Since the SWP and the YSA have relatively few members, these informants
>comprised a not insignificant percentage of the membership.
>

>Year % and # of members who were FBI
>
> SWP YSA
>1960 11% (52/466) 8% (9/115)
>1973 3% (28/1095) 6% (77/1256)
>1976 2% (19/1000) 3% (41/1185)

I see we have backtracked. Now it is no longer a "large percentage of its membership" but a "not insignificant" percentage. In fact 2 or 3 percent membership in the SWP during the 1960s is *insignificant*. (The YSA had its own kind of membership norms, which were a lot more relaxed than the SWP's. I am aware that many campus locals bended the rules on drugs and might have even allowed in someone as addled as Chipper Berlet. And, yes, Chipper, you can go fuck your mother.