US to 'overthrow Taliban'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 21 12:59:26 PDT 2001

James Baird wrote:

> What do we do when faced with
> something like that? I really don't know.

One of the major distinctions between "democrzcies" and various authoritarian states is that the former were able, for one reason or anothr, to fight out their civil wars without outside intervention.

The U.S. left must understand that the answer to this question in reference to all the nations of Asia, Latin America, eastern Europe, and Africa is that we must fight _anything_ the U.S. does outside its own border. Even if the U.S. government _were_ well intentioned, it would fuck things up, and there is no reason to expect it ever to be well intentioned.

What should the U.S. do? Absolutely NOTHING.

What should the U.S. left do? Try to keep the U.S. from acting outside its own borders.

Carrol