ADA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 21 13:26:21 PDT 2001

[posted from non-sub'd address]

From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:25:23 -0400

** Web version Available at www.adaction.org/newsandnotes.html

ADAction News and Notes -- Vol. 13 No. 23 September 21, 2001

. . .

--LIBERALISM IN THE POST-SEPT 11TH ERA-- The political landscape of the United States is vastly altered from that of only two weeks ago. Rancorous partisan debates over the budget have been transformed into almost unanimous, bipartisan calls for retaliation.

In the passion of this moment, liberals more than ever must remain a strong, vital voice in American policy-making. There has been much recent rhetoric about American freedom and democracy. We must live up to these principles by never being afraid to speak strongly about honest differences on policy. Patriotism does not require us to suspend judgment.

ADA stands with the President in his mission to bring to justice those responsible for the attacks, and to ensure national security. If we are to succeed, however, whatever we do must be done with international cooperation, including -- most especially -- the Arab and Muslim worlds. That multinational context should include a respect for new international jurisprudence and international tribunals, as well as an eager acceptance of the United Nations' offer of assistance.

--ACTION ON HATE CRIMES NEEDED NOW!-- Every ignorant act of hate violence against individuals - be they Arab or Indian, gay or lesbian - shows that the forces of hatred are advancing in our nation. . . .