Bellum Justum and Empire

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 13:30:51 PDT 2001

Even though war has not yet officially broken out, I am asking myself how the situation is different. It occurs to me that it does indeed have a more imperial flavor to it.

Now there have been ugly incidences of mistreatment of Muslims and people of Middle-eastern origins in the United States, however I was struck by the efforts made by Bush last night to remind us that this is not a war against Muslims or Afghanis but against the barbarians who, in this case, happen to be the Taliban.

Of course, we all find the Taliban to be repugnant, but we also intuit that the Taliban is only the first group to be targeted. Others will follow. Bush said as much last night when he stated that "either you stand with the United States or you are with the terrorists".

Anyway, some may think that I am naive to believe Bush when he says that this is not against any particular nation, religion or race. Empire will not discriminate based upon race, nation, or religion when it comes to uniting its provinces against the barbarians. For this reason, I honestly believe (maybe wrong) that it will be meticulous in its bombing. It is the provinces of Civilization against the horde (those that resist the Empire). Or as Bush puts it, you either stand with the US or you stand with the terrorists. The sharp lines between nations become blurred as the line between Empire and Non-Empire grows sharper.

Last night the Emperor George Bush received the blessings of the senate and, in an unprecedented act, the head of an important province, Tony Blair, was on hand to show his support. So endearing were the exchanges between Blair and Bush that at one point I thought Blair might ceremoniously kiss Bush's hand.

It seems that now that the distinction has been made between terrorists, nations and the people, that we can expect to see the emperors troops sent to every land in order to wage his bellum Justum against all infideles, not just Bin Laden.

George Bush was criticized for calling this a "crusade" but I think, for once, Bush chose the right word.

Well, I am just thinking out loud...I dont know how much of the above I actually believe, but I do hope that we can try and discern the novelty of this situation in relation to what Negri calls "Empire".

-Thomas

===== <<The concept of Empire is presented as a global concert

under the direction of a single conductor, a unitary power

that maintains the social peace and produces its ethical

truths. And in order to achieve these ends,the single

power is given the necessary force to conduct, when

necessary, "just wars" at the borders against

the barbarians and internally against the rebellious>> Hardt & Negri "Empire"