Gitlin on the student peace movement

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Sep 21 13:54:03 PDT 2001

> ppillai at sprint.ca wrote:
>
> >some its victims managed to
> >slip out from beneath your bloodied boot for the first time in 50+
yrs

> Hmm, well, these particular victims seem to be from the educated
> middle class, and espouse a doctrine - or at least the milieu
they're
> said to emerge from espouses a doctrine - that's pretty hideous.
> These aren't Uncle Sam's enemies from the good old days, like Fidel
> or the Sandinistas. So I'd say framing these folks as
revolutionaries
> isn't a very promising strategy.
>
> Doug

================ Agreed, but how do we avoid getting stuck in the cul-de-sac of secular-theocentric world views? Short of becoming a global Islamic society this problem isn't going to go away, ever. And Dumbya's "either you're with 'us' or you're with the terrorists" is an example of the very same problem[s] of oppositional binarism, even as he spoke of pluralism.

Ian