Hitch Losing It?

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 21 21:10:46 PDT 2001

As I recall Muslim fundamentalists usually establish their own systems of social services and are often the only groups working within the poorest and worst off in society. They gain the support of the masses in some countries.. This is shown in Algeria where Islamic fundametalists won an election only to have the military throw out the president who was defeated and take power themselves. Another election was cancelled in the clear knowledge the fundamentalists would win.No one in the west seemed to get excited. Western values of course are all for democracy and against military rule. The result has been a civil war in which the fundamentalists and the military seem to compete to see who can kill the most. And of course the west is not about to support democracy in Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates. There are lmits to democracy too as in electing Allende in Chile. I get sick when Bush talks of this as an attack against democracy. There are many vicious features of Islamic fundamentalism but equally there are many vicious features of a secular US superpower fighting for Infinite Justice. According to Bush I am either with one or the other. No thanks.

As a citizen concerned about the safety of my fellows I see the necessity of increasing security, apprehending suspected terrorists and trying them, but the only real security is to be had by changing the conditions that contribute to terrorism. There seems a ludicrous idea that terrorists can not be negotiated with or change, that they are forever wedded to terrorism. Even former Israeli terrorists claim this while they are at the same time proof that terrorists can become part of the establishment. Arafat is another example.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:33 PM Subject: Re: Hitch Losing It?

> "M.Blackmore" wrote:
> >

> > We've got a war on two fronts: "progressives" vs fundamentalist islam
AND