Sage Saddam?

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Sun Sep 23 02:55:09 PDT 2001

AP. 22 September 2001. Saddam Criticizes Bush Over Remark.

BAGHDAD -- Saddam Hussein criticized President Bush on Saturday for telling nations to choose sides in the coming war against terrorism -- saying it was a choice that Iraq has never demanded countries make.

When Iraqis were killed, "we did not ask the world to be either with us or with the terror, as America is doing," the Iraqi leader told his Cabinet, in remarks carried on state TV.

"Instead, we thanked those who sympathized with us, without regarding those who failed to do so as our enemies," he said.

Hussein accused the U.S. leader of "treating terrorism with terrorism."

It was his fourth remark about the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. In his first, an open letter to the West, the leader said Americans should learn through their current pain about the suffering they've inflicted on others, particularly Iraqis and Palestinians.

Addressing the United States' increasing economic worries, Hussein said, "If America deals with the world's peoples in a decent manner, than its fortunes will be increased and it will face no competition."

"You (Americans) will not be able to achieve stability and security, if you ride your horses and chase the people," he said.

------------------------------------------- Macdonald Stainsby Rad-Green List: Radical anti-capitalist environmental discussion. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/rad-green ---- Leninist-International: Building bridges in the tradition of V.I. Lenin. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/leninist-international ---- In the contradiction lies the hope.

--Bertholt Brecht