A Positive Program

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sun Sep 23 10:52:49 PDT 2001

Hi,

But isn't it sometimes important to ask...what are the broad parameters of the left? I would argue that being anti-elite or anti-regime is not enough. There are plenty of fascists who are anti-regime and want to protect civil liberties (at least until they are in power).

Valuing people over property is a start.

But also some sort of systemic analysis, whether that is based in Marxism, or anarchism, or feminism, or critical race theory, or queer theory, or some social justice version of religious or spiritual traditions.

But without the focus on people and systems, anti-regime/anti-elite politics has historically turned into forms of right-wing populism that victimize oppressed populations. Not a left sort of thing, eh?

-Chip Berlet

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 1:10 PM Subject: Re: A Positive Program