It can't happen here

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 23 11:00:47 PDT 2001

Thanks for the concern but I'm not a paranoid person. I wouldn't have blurted it out like that but I wanted it out there before I headed out. The guy and I only got into it for a few minutes, then he tried to change the subject when I asked him if it was a good idea to give the green light to a Pakistani army which IS militant Islam. I know he was expecting me to talk about Palistinians and such but I had steeled myself not to make the usual muddle of nebulous connections which I surcome to when arguing about this deadly serious situation. Though my paranoid thesis be unbelieveable, I'm just doing my first reading of Zinn's History and a lot of what happened as this country before WWI seemed pretty fantastic too. Made Iran-Contra and Ellsberg sound like kids play.

Shortly before the World Trade tragedy I was starting to read my free sample issue of MIT Technology mag. The two articles I looked at were about different unsecure aspects of the new communications systems and the false beliefs surrounding them.. The authors seemed seriously concerned. One covered the lack of encryption in mobile communications and the false idea that this was unavoidable or that the issue had been addressed. The other busted many myths about the internet including the fact the the internet is NOT beyond control. And other comfortable assumptions. Dry, but I would recommend checking it out.

What are there, 200,000 people who's habits and reading point to a left-leaning conviction? I don't see what's so incredible, knowing what we do of history, technology and money flow, about wondering if many of those people have been identified by some entity. The intelligence community must be doing something with it's time, no?

I just saw Abby Cohen say that one of the main things we need for economic health was to make sure working families have enough income. Excuse me, but I think that's a bit odd.

And what is the deal with announcing on the front page of the NYTimes that we are giving Pakistan all the money they could possibly want and they will do anything the US wants. Didn't THAT used to be the kind of info the govt kept quiet?

I had another paranoid thought. What if suddenly it turns out that someone attached to the anti-globalization movement was involved? That would be very convenient. Then it will be cool to let Falwell loose.

The situation certainly has been siezed as a means of making the unthinkable a foregone conclusion. That could be moved in any direction. Create a Palistinian state. Put a universal welfare system in place. Take over the oil fields of the Middle East. Who knows? Maybe somebody.

There's something else going on. A few months ago I started to buy stock in unhedged gold mines and in my search for info ran across the curious world of Gold Bugs. In this topsy turvy world I read folks saying some of the same stuff about the economy that Doug might say, but the conclusions always somehow involved blaming the Left. Like Greenspan's a commie. Wierd. They thought they were going to get some real answers from their beloved Repugs, but surprise, surprise, it hasn't happened. The real focus of some of this crowd is the conspiracy to surpress the price of gold. It's a long story but it does kinda pan out when you look at a long term chart of POG. Something about Greenspan starting to abuse the power of some position he holds in some official body pertaining to gold, in 1996. And Goldman Sachs and other bullion banks and there massive short positioning.( One thing I did learn about gold is what a racket they got going. For years people could borrow gold at like a quarter of a percent interest rate, sell it, and use the money to make money elsewhere. Total sweetheart deal. It's only recently that the interest rate has become volitale, I think. When I got in it had jumped way up but it didn't last but a few months. Very strange) I have wondered if it is only ironic that the gold price collapsed when some African people started owning some of the assets. Also wondered if the seeming end of the 18 year bear market in gold had anything to do with DeBeers ceasing to be a public company, but that's another thread. Some of the articles here are more technical, some down-right nuts.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/ This guy thinks the Russians were behind the explosion.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_01/schicht092101.html

Le Metropole Members,

James Turk of The Freemarket Gold & Money Report has served, "What Is Happening to America's Gold?" at The Dos Passos Table.

"Mr. Mattingly now says that he has no "clear recollection" of what he actually said at the FOMC meeting that fateful day, but nevertheless, he believes that his remarks "were transcribed inaccurately or otherwise became garbled." Hmmm, transcribed inaccurately. So he didn't say "gold swaps" to provide an example of ESF authority? Well, let's see. What could he have said, and how were those words transcribed inaccurately? Would the correct transcription have been "bold wasps"? Or did Mr. Mattingly really say that day that ESF authority was demonstrated by "cold swats"?

"More gold is coming out of the NY Fed each month than is being mined by South Africa, the world's largest producer."

Counsel Mattingly's credibility is kaputsky. Meanwhile, James' notation that gold is now coming out of the NY Fed at a significantly greater rate than mined in South Africa is stunning.

********** Le Metropole Members,

Reg Howe has served commentary at The Matisse Table entitled, "Judicial Holding Pattern: Giving the Defendants Plenty of Rope."

"The clerk's office has advised me that the court is unlikely to hold a hearing on the defendants' motions to dismiss until fall. Although possible, it is also unlikely that the court will rule on these motions without first holding a hearing. Nor does it appear that the Bush team has any interest in trying to distance itself from the scheme to manipulate gold prices put in place by the Clinton administration. On the contrary, the new crowd in Washington seems just as determined as their predecessors to fight gold by any means available, fair or foul."

EXTRAORDINARY!! Reg Howe makes the U.S. Treasury look like "The Gang That Could Not Shoot Straight!" No rationale thinking person anywhere can fail to conclude, after reading this piece by Reg, that the Government of the United States is not only manipulating the gold price, but trying desperately to cover up what they are doing. Fortunately, that coverup up is failing miserably as Reg has them nailed. Two years ago, I said that the gold fraud would turn out to be a bigger international scandal than Watergate. The gold collusion coverup is already more bungling than the Watergate one.

GATA's Chris Powell just put out the following:

From: GATAComm at aol.com Date: Fri Jul 20, 2001 Subject: Howe documents more evidence of U.S. suppression of gold

Dear Friend of GATA and Gold:

GATA consultant Reginald H. Howe, plaintiff in the lawsuit against the Bank for International Settlements, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the U.S. Treasury Department, and the bullion banks, continues to develop documentary evidence of the U.S. government's surrpetitious intervention in the gold market to suppress gold's price.

Howe's latest essay, may be his most important ever.

It would be good if GATA supporters in the United States who have written to their congressmen wrote to them again with a copy of this essay, to ask them to determine from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department whether the essay correctly describes U.S. government policy toward gold, and, if not, to determine where it is wrong.

CHRIS POWELL, Secretary/Treasurer Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.

***************

EU Finance Chiefs Add

To Attack Conspiracy Theory

By A. Chalomumbai Correspondent 9-22-1

LIEGE, Belgium (Reuters) - European Union policymakers added on Saturday to suspicions that those who planned last week's attacks on U.S. landmarks may have profited from the havoc they brought to financial markets.

Separately, ministers agreed to speed up ratification of an existing U.N. resolution calling for the freezing of assets of Afghanistan's ruling Taliban.

Bundesbank President Ernst Welteke said that in addition to strange movements in airline and insurance shares there were signs of suspicious dealings in gold and oil around the time of the September 11 attacks.

``There is lots of speculation and rumors at the moment so we have to be careful. But...that there are ever clearer signs that there were activities on international financial markets which must have been carried out with the necessary expert knowledge,'' Welteke said during a break in an EU finance ministers' meeting.

``With the oil price we have seen before the attacks a fundamentally inexplicable rise in the price, which could mean that people have bought oil contracts which were then sold at a higher price,'' he said.

Gold markets also saw movements ``which need explaining.''

Welteke said the first evidence of unusual price movements emerged last Thursday, two days after the attacks.

He said they were now being looked at throughout the world although he stressed that, in Germany, the Bundesbank was not in the forefront of the probe as it was not responsible for oversight of equities markets.

Didier Reynders, the current chairman of EU finance ministers' meetings, said ministers would receive a report on the matter after national supervisors and regulators had completed their investigations.

Reynders said a joint meeting of EU finance and home and justice affairs ministers in October would check member states' progress in ratifying U.N. resolution 1333 on freezing Taliban assets abroad.

``Even in the financial sector there could be a global network (of terrorists) and we are looking into this, in Austria as well,'' Austrian Finance Minister Karl-Heinz Grasser said.

-END-

This is most peculiar. Will comment on in Tortoise (Gold) and the Hare (Nasdaq) Part Two tomorrow.

<A HREF="http://www.LeMetropoleCafe.com/entrance.cfm"> Le Metropole Cafe</A>

Well it's just another grand conspiracy theory, but when $$$$$$$billions are involved, you just can't have too many of them.

By the by, a few months ago I did read, in the mainstream financial press that the Chinese had done some de-regulation to allow their people to put their savings in gold..

Curiouser, and curiouser.