A Positive Program

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sun Sep 23 12:04:59 PDT 2001

Hi,

Recent social movement theory suggests that most people join social movement organizations, projects, or campaigns because they are recruited by face-to-face contact by a cohort--friend, family or co-worker.

Social movements succeed due to a combination of things.

***A discontented group of politicized persons who share the perception that they have common grievances they wish addressed. ***The recruitment of politicized persons into the movement through pre-existing social networks, with the incentive that participation will be rewarding and successful. ***A core group of strategic leaders and local activists that effectively mobilize, organize, educate, and communicate with the politicized persons. ***The availability of resources and opportunities in the larger social and political scene that can be exploited by movement leaders and activists.

Ideology, it turns out, is learned in the movement. Ideology seldom attracts people to a movement. Contrary to popular belief.

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 2:29 PM Subject: Re: A Positive Program