poll on civil liberties

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 24 07:24:42 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

> > It hurts me to say this, but when Buchanan says things like we can
>> choose between a republic and our empire, I think that's something
>> with a lot of potential resonance.
>>

>Of course. And there will be worse things than that said? Do you want
>everyone on your side? Why does it hurt you to acknowledge that there
>are some very nasty people living in the U.S.?

Uh, no, it wasn't that there are "nasty people" here. It was that Buchanan's point is right - you can't really have an empire abroad and a democracy at home - but that he's one of the few political celebrities that will say something like that. Would Wellstone or any other liberals? They wouldn't dare use the word empire.

Doug