Bush approval highest in Gallup history

ravi gadfly at home.com
Mon Sep 24 08:14:47 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> PRINCETON, NJ -- President George W. Bush's call to arms in a nationwide
> address last Thursday evening has elicited widespread public support for
> a war against terrorism, as well as the highest presidential job
> approval rating ever measured by Gallup since it began asking the public
> for its evaluation of presidents over six decades ago.
>
> According to the latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, conducted September
> 21-22, 90% of Americans approve of the way Bush is handling his job as
> president, up four percentage points from a poll last weekend.
>
> [...]
>
> [and in early September it was 51%]

i do not find this very surprising considering that many members on this list have commended giuliani for his actions post WTC attack. this is not to draw extensive comparison between list members and the general populace, but does not the sudden love of the masses for bush, and the list admiration of giuliani, share the belief in the need for a leader who will be credited with positive (or negative) outcomes? many members responded to my question on why giuliani deserves such credit, and i am thankful for the responses, but it is not clear to me from those answers what exact actions that giuliani took that set him apart and in particular ensured whatever positive response resulted. perhaps i need to re-read the responses. if such is the case, my apologies for the waste of bandwidth!

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.