A Positive Program

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:44:42 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> firstly, i don't reject gatekeeping. i do reject what i see as an internal
> attempt on the part of some people enamored of leninism to enter into these
> discussions primarily because they want to set straight all the wayward
> leftists on LBO-talk and elsewhere. you, yourself, have even mentioned that
> you and yoshie have been waging a concerted campaign for years to teach
> doug the errors of his ways.

In other words, having a conviction and trying to persuade others of that conviction is impolite. I have long suspected that Kelley belonged to that category of freshmen comp students who believed that criticizing a belief was a suppression of free speech. This seems to confirm that suspicion.

Carrol