back street boy backs off

ravi gadfly at home.com
Mon Sep 24 11:18:10 PDT 2001

for lbo-talk members who are backstreet boys fans (a majority i would hope, for who can be for peace, love and all things nice and not love these fellows), a bit of heart warming news (and dont ask me where and how i find this stuff ;-)). last post for the day:

http://www.bayarea.com/entertainment/news/docs/009464.htm

Backstreet Boy apologizes for 'insensitive' remark

Knight Ridder Newspapers

In an exclusive on-air interview with New York pop-radio station host Paul ``Cubby'' Bryant, Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys apologized for what he called ``insensitive'' statements made in an interview with Canadian television channel MuchMusic last week.

Richardson said: ``I just think we are a little bit of an arrogant nation and maybe this is a little bit of a humbling experience. What has our government done to provoke this action, that we don't know about?''

Thursday, Bryant and WHTZ-FM, who have close personal and professional relationships with many of today's stars, gave Richardson the chance to clarify.

``I appreciate this opportunity,'' Richardson began. ``I just want to say that our prayers and our thoughts go out to all the victims and their families. I want to clarify something that I said, and my thoughts weren't put together quite properly.

``We had been doing about five interviews in Toronto, Canada, and as I was sitting there listening to the rest of the guys talk, I just got overwhelmed with anger and frustration, on `How can this happen in our country, in this nation that we live in?' And I said that I think we as a nation may be a little arrogant. Maybe this is a wake-up call for our nation.

``What I meant by arrogant is that we've been a little overconfident, we've maybe taken our freedom for granted, taken our security for granted. And I just want to clarify myself. I apologize if I have offended anyone, any of the families of the victims, if my statement seemed insensitive, but I was reacting out of anger and out of frustration, and I was emotional.

``I don't want anyone to think that I don't love this country -- I'm proud to be an American. I just want to clear that up.''

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.