back street boy backs off

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Sep 24 15:05:24 PDT 2001

Unfortunately the blame mantra has probably taken hold to some extent. CNN interviewed assorted a-holes who gave the line that intelligence was underfunded because of them liberals. People like James Woolsy and that jerk Tom Clancy were permitted to mouth this line with no counter- balance at all. Then you start to hear quotes from ordinary people bitching that Democrats screwed up our intelligence agencies.

Salon magazine let Horowitz run his mouth with only mild responses; they didn't post my letter or DP's.

The WSJ editorial page was surprisingly fair today, noting that both parties had neglected security & intelligence.

The more subtle point, relatively speaking -- that prohibitions on the employment of certain reprobates are designed not merely to be righteous but to preclude 'blowback' -- I have yet to see that point made on the boob tube. Morton Halperin made the point that any pre-1981 executive order preluding any dirty deed you could mention could have been reversed at any time by Presidents Reagan and Bush. It is also worth remembering that after the deadly assault on the Marine barracks in Lebanon, Ronald Reagan stood tall, invaded Grenada, and bugged out of Lebanon.

mbs

The media has been pretty bi-partisan is slamming down anyone who has tried to "explain" or blame anyone for the Sept 11 attack. Falwell got trashed for blaming it on gays and liberals, Schundler running for governor in New Jersey blamed military cutbacks for the failure to stop the attacks and was slammed by everyone, including the sitting GOP governor. . . .