Hitchens responds to critics

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:16:07 PDT 2001

My old college mentor at Princeton, Arthur Szathmary, a genuinely wise man, once told me that in the mid-1950s he was at a cocktail party with a number of other faculty, and the topic of historical explanation arose. A (then) young and brilliant, but fervently Christian and very conservative historian stated with a great finality, "You can't understand hsitoey without understanding original sin." There was a hush. Szath said, "I was embarassed for him, and then I realized that half of the people there were nodding their heads. I became frightened and excused myself shortly."

--jks