Hitchens responds to critics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 25 11:36:03 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

So all criticisms of the U.S. are off? For how long? Does imperialism get a free pass now?

When you're in lawyer/propagandist mode, Nathan, you manufacture binaries: vote for Dems or you're promoting reaction. Or false equivalencies: if you criticize unions, you're maligning the work of serious activists. So here it's: if you say a word about U.S. imperial violence, then you're dishonoring the dead. If you try to explain something, you're excusing it. Well, guess what - I hate U.S. imperialism, but the deaths of 6000 of my neighbors has affected me profoundly. I understand why people are driven to extremes, but I want the planners punished.

What's that famous quote from Fitzgerald about intelligence being the ability to hold two thoughts in one's head simultaneously?

Doug