oil angle?

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Tue Sep 25 14:17:57 PDT 2001

How many of you, when not in the company of conspirary-theory loose cannons and wingnuts, are willing to seriously entertain the idea that elements w/in the CIA deliberately overlooked advance warnings of the 9-11 attacks, in order to justify either a) beefing up counter-intelligence budget and rewriting restrictions on special op assassinations and recruitment of human rights violating-moles, b) intervening in Afghanistan to engender the "political stability" necessary to secure the flow of oil from Central Asia to the Indian Ocean, or c) some combination of a) and b) ? To entertain this idea, one need not believe that elements within the CIA expected atacks as severe (in terms of destruction of human life and property) as those that took place on 9-11. One also need not believe that the Pentagon, the NSC, the State Department and so on had any knowledge or role in this.

I do not consider raising and trying to answer this question simply a matter of idle speculation. I will try and make the political consequences of this question clear in future posts (if I have the time), but I initially I wanted to float the idea in this forum to see if any of you think it has any merit whatsoever.

John Gulick