Anti-Terrorism Act to Cover Computer "Crime"

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Sep 25 15:52:48 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Hanly" <khanly at mb.sympatico.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 3:13 PM Subject: Re: Anti-Terrorism Act to Cover Computer "Crime"

> This seems a weird definition. If terrorism were simply the result
of a
> dare, a drunken rage, or simply a desire to try something new, it
would not
> be terrorism?
> Only violence that has some significant goal is terrorism.What about
dumping
> tea in a port? The US has sure foresworn its revolutionary roots.
>

> Cheers, Ken Hanly

=====

Well there's precisely the rub; the porosity of the revolutionary activity/terrorism boundary is defined by whom?

BTW the tea dumping was not violence, but property destruction. This is something "the media" has been deliberately obfuscating since social protests emerged in "the north".

So, again, does computation become a political term? If so, and if "hacking" is computation then what are we to make of computer programs that are used to attack a country's currency or capital market in order to realize M-M'? Is "financial engineering" a form of information warfare and thus, terrorism? And what of the Muslim argument concerning the immorality of usury and M-M'? Do some Muslims not see that as a form of terrorism?

Ian