Capatalizing on fear

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 20:08:23 PDT 2001

Oracle boss urges national ID cards, offers free software Idea driven by security concerns BY PAUL ROGERS AND ELISE ACKERMAN Mercury News

Broaching a controversial subject that has gained visibility since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Oracle Chairman and CEO Larry Ellison is calling for the United States to create a national identification card system -- and offering to donate the software to make it possible.

Under Ellison's proposal, millions of Americans would be fingerprinted and the information would be placed on a database used by airport security officials to verify identities of travelers at airplane gates.

``We need a national ID card with our photograph and thumbprint digitized and embedded in the ID card,'' Ellison said in an interview Friday night on the evening news of KPIX-TV in San Francisco.

``We need a database behind that, so when you're walking into an airport and you say that you are Larry Ellison, you take that card and put it in a reader and you put your thumb down and that system confirms that this is Larry Ellison,'' he said.

Full Story: http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/ellsn092301.htm

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com