Bertell Ollman on "Explanations Yes; Justification No" (fwd from the Marxism-Thaxis)

Ted Winslow egwinslow at home.com
Wed Sep 26 06:08:11 PDT 2001

Perhaps a little self-analysis is required before realistic explanations are possible. Some of the explanations I've read, for instance, seem to have been produced by people unable even to consider that the motives of the hijackers may have had something to do with the identification of injustice with "dishonour" and a corresponding identification of justice with "vengeance", with defending the sort of Islam represented by the Taliban, and with gaining immediate entry to "paradise" through "martyrdom".

I don't think the evidence currently available provides an adequate basis for realistic explanations.

Though the first problem (the unconscious factors at work in "explanations") makes its practice very difficult, Keats' "negative capability" would be helpful in the present context.

"I had not a dispute but a disquisition, with Dilke on various subjects; several things dove-tailed in my mind, and at once it struck me what quality went to form a Man of Achievement, especially in Literature, and which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason."

John Keats, letter to George and Thomas Keats, 21 December 1817

Ted