Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 07:03:33 PDT 2001

>>From: James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk>
>>
>>I don't believe that you can rise above something if you can't imagine
>>it yourself. I hold to the nostrum (Herodotus?) 'nothing human is alien
>>to me'.
>
>Hear, hear, James. Apparently that quote is from Terentius, though:
>"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto." (I am a man; I think
>nothing human is alien to me.)

Karl Marx's favourite maxim, too.

Chris

====

The Confessions of Karl Marx:

Your favourite virtue: Simplicity Your favourite virtue in man: Strength Your favourite virtue in woman: Weakness Your chief characteristic: Singleness of purpose Your idea of happiness: To fight Your idea of misery: Submission The vice you excuse most: Gullibility The vice you detest most: Servility Your aversion: Martin Tupper Favourite occupation: Book-worming Favourite poet: Shakespeare. Aeschylus. Goethe Favourite prosewriter: Diderot Favourite hero: Spartacus, Kepler Favourite heroine: Gretchen Favourite flower: Daphne Favourite colour: Red Favourite name: Laura, Jenny Favourite dish: Fish Favourite maxim: nihil humani a me alienum puto Favourite motto: de omnibus dubitandum