FW: the second telethon

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Wed Sep 26 07:09:54 PDT 2001

Carey, Houston, Downey to Headline Second Celeb Benefit Bash

"We've Been Down But We're Not Out" is rallying cry of second-line stars

Associated Press

If you liked Celebrity Telethon I, stay tuned. The B-List is sending reinforcements.

Late Monday plans were announced for a second broadcast to be aired at midnight this Saturday on some affiliates of the WB network.

"The terrorists took many things from us on September 11," said publicist Lizzy Grubman in a written release. "And one of them was our prerogative as Americans to think of ourselves first. If we don't take it back, then the terrorists have won.

"How many people have stopped to think what this disruption has done to the already-flagging careers of Mariah [Carey] and Robert [Downey Jr.]? Or to think of what they must be feeling as they sit at home watching coverage of nothing else on television?"

In addition to headliners Carey, Downey and Whitney Houston, the four-hour broadcast will include appearances by "dozens" of others, including Pauly Shore, Jean-Claude van Damme, Jenny McCarthy, and MC Hammer.

The proceeds will be split by the participants, Grubman said.