"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 08:33:06 PDT 2001

>At what point does causality become responsibility?

Nathan, you are losing it here. In tort law, which probably atempts to summarize our intuitions in to some degree, I am responsible for the foreseeable consequences of my own acts, but generally not for the acts of others unless I brought them about. The responsibility we are talking about her is negligence, not being careful enough,w hich is a pretty low level of culpability. I am generally not responsible for injuries caused by intervening criminal acts. Here there are several lawyers of intervening criminal and other acts: you vote for a candidate, who votes for bill that authorizes money for the government to do something that may be illegal under international law, which makes some people mad eniugh to do this thing. Moreover, there has to be proximate causation. There isn't enough causation in voting for a candidate, even if you intend the candidate to do certain things we'd consider bad, to get the causation past the first step.