"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Sep 26 08:39:18 PDT 2001

Nathan also wrote:

The American people don't buy the "oh, poor deluded us" defense for themselves. So they don't buy the Left telling them that. They know corporate interests have too much influence and that the US government does bad things, but most of them vote for the politicians anyways, based on lesser-evil choices. Those with no sympathy for why they make those electoral choices are more comfortable treating them as pawns rather than political actors in their own right.

--Oh, so that is the pooint of all this. Then I have to ask, aside from textual analysis, where do you get the idea that we who criticize US foreign policy place the onus of the blame for that policy on the US working class?

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822