Abby, Bobby and Lil' Allie G.

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 26 09:00:36 PDT 2001

Mr. Greenspan said any stimulus package would have to be sizable to be effective, perhaps as much as $100 billion, at the high end of what Congress has been considering, members of the committee said. In a public statement later, the Fed said Mr. Greenspan intended that figure to include the emergency spending that Congress has already approved for relief and rebuilding. By that benchmark, Mr. Greenspan seemed to be suggesting that further stimulus might have to amount to an additional $40 billion to $60 billion.

http://nytimes.com/2001/09/26/business/26ECON.html

I saw a Repug leader being question about this on CNN yesterday and he was obviously so taken aback that Greenspan would put this forward that he could barely put a sentence together. I wonder if this is related to Goldman's Abby Cohen making that statement on Sunday am tv that the most important thing to the economy is making sure working families have enough income. If hell isn't frozen it must be getting pretty nippy down there.