Army Reserves

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 26 09:21:21 PDT 2001

http://nytimes.com/2001/09/26/international/26PREX.html

"The Pentagon also announced today the call-up of additional Reserve and National Guard troops, bringing to 14,000 the number mobilized since the attacks. Mr. Rumsfeld has been authorized to activate up to 50,000 guard and reserve troops.

Also today, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi of Japan pledged his country's support in the fight against terrorism, in contrast to Japan's neutrality in the Persian Gulf war. The Japanese offered intelligence and logistical assistance to the United States, a step that lets Japan stay within the bounds of its postwar constitutional ban on collective self-defense. They also pledged $40 million in aid to Pakistan.

The White House announced that although Mr. Bush will attend the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Leaders Meeting in Shanghai from Oct. 20 to Oct. 21, as planned, he will not visit Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing."

Is all this talk of army reserves normal, at this point in action? Aren't there lots of soldiers who are in the Army all the time, er whatever service, who serve before reserves? I've been riding public transportion for the last week and a coupla times I spoke about the current situation with a fellow rider. The Rail, but especially the bus, is mostly filled with lower income people with brown skins, in this town anyway. A coupla women mentioned being concerned for a relative in the Army. I know a coupla guys who are in the reserves. They are pretty affluent and seething with Reaction. Hmmmmm.

Could anyone tell me if it's a usual occurance that a US Prez would attend the Asia Pacific Economic whatever? Even when the country has not just declared a permanent war to destroy evil?

smooches and hugs Paula