"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 26 12:49:50 PDT 2001

-> 1) actions of the US government had a causal role in what happened on Sept
> 11
>
> I thought statement (1) was the whole debate we were having.
>
> 2) where there is a causal role, there is responsibility to have taken
> different actions

I don't know if you make the leap from causality to responsibility, Nathan, but no one else should. The fact that a hurricane may cause hundreds of deaths doesn't mean one can assign moral responsibility to the weather.

-- Luke