"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Sep 26 13:53:23 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

> The dominant neorealist view is that states are states and pursue
their
> perceived interests in the international system regardless of theor
> political form. I think that accounts for a great deal of the
variance. The
> other views that give attention to internal structure don't give a
lot of
> weight to the political form of the country, although there is the
> intriguing and oft-remarked on fact that liberal democracies don't
go to war
> with each other.

Alan Gilbert's "Must Global Politics Constrain Democracy?", dismantles the second sentence and is arguably the best Left book on international relations of the last 20 years. It critically links neorealism to oligarchy and takes a tough look at contentions of "moralism" and "common good" arguments. His protagonists are Marx Thucydides and Pericles.

Ian