"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:23:35 PDT 2001

>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>So how does the Left defend the virtue of the working class while
>>demonizing
>>its elected leaders?
>
>Well you start by saying that the state is a class state, that
>despite the mechanics of formal democracy, generally represents the
>interests of a ruling class. You add to that that the media that help
>form the consciousness of that working class are in the pocket of
>that ruling class.
>
>That's not a very obscure position, is it?

What are you, some kind of a commie?

I myself do not defend the virtue of the working class. Generically speaking, the working class is ignorant, reactionary, prejudiced, sexist, and crude. What do you expext, given the circumstnaces of their lives? They're just the world's only hope.

I agree with Nathan, actually, that we have a sort of democracy, and that this is a good thing. I do not agree, and neither would Nathan if he shifted into his analytical mode, that this means that there is a tight link between the "will of the people," whatever that is, and the policies adopted by our leaders in foreign policy or elsewhere. Democracy means that there is a remote possibility that one might be able in some indirect way to influence or change the policy, usually when it is too late, not that the actions of out leaders are invested in the aura of direct popular rule.

I do not think that it is Nathan's commitment to the DP that makes hism say such odd things as he has been saying. There are lots of Democrats who agree with us and not with him. My mom, for example. Maybe it is the shock of looking out your window in Jersey City at the hole in the skyline. It could make you or me a bid loopy too.

jks