security

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 26 15:16:11 PDT 2001

[bounced bec of an attachment]

From: SergioL652 at aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:07:08 EDT

I received this e-mail from the EPA Region 2 system, were I work (Region 2 is in New York, I work in the Edison, NJ field office of EPA). Things are getting crazy when questions from a Taxi Driver from the "Middle East" causes EPA to post armed guards at their gates. Our facility has about 200 people in very old Army type one story buildings, not exactly an inviting target.

Sergio Lopez Edison, NJ

TO: ALL EDISON EMPLOYEES

Yesterday, we were informed of an incident that could indicate a possible threat to the security of the Edison Facility. Late yesterday two contract employees reported a conversation that took place with a taxi driver they had engaged the previous evening. The taxi driver struck up a conversation with them about security at Edison, including the level of guard service. The passengers were somewhat alarmed by these questions because the taxi driver had told them he was from the Middle East.

While this may be only a coincidence, we have to take this incident quite seriously. We have alerted the Federal Protective Service (FPS) and Federal law enforcement. Last night we stationed two armed CID special agents near the Facility entrance to provide added security. Today, two armed IG agents are on duty at Edison. We are in the process of securing armed guards under our Facility security contract.

Federal law enforcement agents are now attempting to locate the taxi driver to interrogate him concerning his interest in the Facility. Until this investigative process is completed, we should all be on a heightened level of alert. Please notify your supervisor if you notice anything unusual or if questions are posed to you concerning security issues.

We will keep you informed as we get further information on this incident.