Any "left" consensus on the IRA?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 26 22:38:18 PDT 2001

> Huh? No.
>
> How broadly do you define 'left'? Personally I think people should have a
> consensus with me over the IRA to be considered left, but that would rule
> out most of what goes for 'left' in the US, I'm afraid.
>
> MB

Well, I happen to be quite ignorant of all but the vaguest features of the conflict. That's why I'm interested in the opinions of lboer's on the subject, regardless of whether there's something of a consensus. I was just making a cognitive leap that there might well be one based on what I've seen in the past. So how 'bout it: are the IRA impassioned fighters for self-determination, or sectarian religious fools? Do I propose a false dichotomy? Why did the Soviet Union pitch in?

-- Luke