Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics From

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Sep 26 18:50:40 PDT 2001

The greatest evil is always done by those who
>> sincerely beleive they are doing good...
>>
>> Jim Baird

>Does this make Einstein and Darwin etc.

No, mate. The set of doers of great evil (dE) is here wholly subsumed by the set of those who believe they're doing good (bG) - so there's room left in the set (BG) for people who believe they're doing good actually to do good (dbG).

I'd love to know what bG minus dE equalled.

Perhaps that remainder lack an arrogant certainty that the desired future will be (a) an inevitable result of the proposed action, and (b) so good as to be worth any price, to anyone?

Or am I revealing my conservative essence?

Cheers, Rob.