memory

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Thu Sep 27 15:56:41 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [via Sam Smith's Progressive Review]
>
> I think no power to your refrigerator, no gas to your stove, you can't get
> to work because the bridge is down - the bridge on which you held your
> rock
> concerts and you all stood with targets on your heads. That needs to
> disappear at three o'clock in the morning." - U.S. Air Force General
> Michael
> Short in Yugoslavia, May, 1999
. or these...

---

"If President Milosevic really wants all of his population to have water and electricity, all he has to do is accept NATO's five conditions and we will stop this campaign."

-- NATO spokesman Jamie Shea

---

A front-page article last year by Washington Post reporter Dana Priest ("Bombing by Committee: France Balked at NATO Targets," 9/20/99) recounted the decision-making processes behind several NATO targeting decisions. According to Priest, at one point, British "Foreign Secretary Robin Cook questioned strikes on power lines affecting a large hospital in Belgrade. But the group brought him around."