Rudy morphs back (was Re: Bush approval highest in Gallup history)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 02:24:29 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood (dhenwood at panix.com)
>Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 11:25:00 EDT
>
>... my reaction to Rudy was based largely on his apparent evolution,
> >however temporary, into a human being. ... He wasn't acting like a
> >Leader, in other words.

Your theory of evolution doesn't seem quite as compelling as Darwin's, Doug.

Hizzoner Der Fuhrer has reverted to classic form before the week even ended. From the NY Times:

September 28, 2001

Giuliani Has Plans to Stay on for 3 Months or a Full Term

By Dan Barry

Having decided that New York City needs him beyond what the term-limits law allows, Rudolph W. Giuliani summoned the three mayoral candidates this week and laid out Plan A and Plan B. If they did not agree to let him stay in office an extra three months, he would seek re-election on the Conservative Party ballot.

Yesterday, less than 24 hours after those private meetings, Michael R. Bloomberg, the Republican candidate, and Mark Green, one of the two Democratic candidates, announced that they would support the proposal to extend Mr. Giuliani's term by three months. But Fernando Ferrer, who will face Mr. Green in a Democratic runoff in two weeks, said that he could not — although he went out of his way to say that the mayor's "leadership and experience during this crisis have been exemplary."

The mayor's either-or proposal knocked the city's political world off its axis yesterday, as candidates, legislators and the governor struggled to appease a man whose leadership in the wake of the Sept. 11 disaster has won him international acclaim — but who, by law, must step down at year's end.

[Full text: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/28/nyregion/28RUDY.html]

Carl