lbo-talk-digest V1 #4969

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Sep 28 06:49:07 PDT 2001

> If such (= "the problem in Afghanistan has been not enough
> imperialism") is your view, you might as well advocate incorporating
> Afghanistan as the 51st member state of the United States. If "a
> true puppet" of the U.S. is better than the Northern Alliance, surely
> statehood is better than "a true puppet."
>
> Yoshie

Great. I'm all for a more inclusive union, but I rather doubt others are. Even better would be the incorporation of Afghanistan into the EU regardless of the fact that it's on a different continent. How very unfortunate that such idle hopes are doomed to be consigned to the historic dustbin of speculations that never came to anything.

- -- Luke

IMHO, if there is a Northern Alliance-led puppet state in Afghanistan, it won't be the US's puppet state. The NA is bankrolled by Russia, which does not like the Taliban sending people to fight in Chechnya.

Anyway, there is no coherent NA that could lead a state. These are a bunch of loosely allied tribes that only stopped warrinh against one another to resist the Taliban, and will fall at each others' throats the instant Kabul falls.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal