WSJ Letter to Ed 9/26

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 28 07:03:01 PDT 2001

IN TIMES LIKE THESE PACIFISTS ARE IRRELEVANT

Few humans are more irrelevant than pacifists. The antiwar protesters who are now mounting demonstrations in a number of cities lecture, without moral qualification, to the rest of their countrymen about the wrongfulness of fighting violence with violence. The fact that they voice their opinions openly is because men and women of true moral integrity were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to ensure their safety and freedom.

More than half a century ago, as the Nazis overran Europe, Gandi wrote a letter to Churchill imploring him to eschew armed resistance because, depite the outcome, theirs would be a greater glory. What would be the shape of the world if credence was given to advice such as this?

A misconception of many humanists is the idea of an inate dignity or goodness in EVERY(italics)hyman. But some people will always seek power by means of violence and evil. To believe that we can achieve a peaceful world merely through sincere and sympathetic negotiation is to live in a childlike illusion..

John Voytek Cave Creek Arizona

Felt another cold chill on free speech when I saw Bush the Elder last night. Loved the way he stressed that he wouldn't give the Prez advice cause he didn't have the information available to Georgie and people like Gen. Powell, etc. Then he said something to the effect that people without information shouldn't be giving opinions. Very nice work. Nice touch featuring Powell's name. Even I'm starting to view him as a savior. Between that ridiculous footage of guys in turbins smashing the empty embassy, the Italian guy saying what most Americans think from some angle, and stuff like this, this PR campaign makes the one surrounding the Gulf War look like a hand made sign on a lemonade stand. Wonder if Knolton is handling it. This morning saw footage of Bush Daddy talking about Georgie having read the whole Bible all the way through, twice. I love to start the day with a good belly laugh!