Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 28 08:13:35 PDT 2001

At 10:12 PM 9/27/01 -0400, Mina K. wrote:

democrats have reasons and theocrats have excuses, right?

>In fact, bin Laden has over and over again targeted US policy in Saudi, and
>his moment of real radicalization against the US was when the troops stayed
>in Saudi after the Gulf War. To dismiss his grievances as being "outside
>history" because you despise his politics is simply complacent.

Mina, I have a number of grievances against the US as do others on this list. But that does not make me embrace any radical, no matter how despicable, who happen to be against this country and its policies.

The problem I have with many self-styled leftists is that while they are saying things I may be inclined to accept on their face value, they purse those things with rigid idelogical zeal, at any cost and oblivious to any cricumstances. I've been always scared of people who are cocksure and have nor doubts, especially when they eye at the halls of power.

wojtek