Choices (was Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 28 10:22:12 PDT 2001

At 01:03 PM 9/28/01 -0400, Doug wrote:
>You're missing my point. How can a poor country "choose" its social
>structure in the same way I might choose my dinner? Did Mexico choose
>to be located next to the U.S. and incorporated as its sweatshop? Did
>Africa choose to be colonized and then largely excluded from the
>post-colonial world economy? Did the people of Afghanistan choose to
>be ruled by a bunch of oppressive theocrats?

True. But here in this country, one can choose between throwing his/her support behind various political factions, including finanzkapital and third world militants of various stripes and persuasions. Than that such a choice matters in the great scheme of life - it is a mere fal waving that at beast entertains of annius your neighbors and coworkers. With that in mind, if I were to choose between rallying behing finanzkapital or islamism, i would choose the former. Fortunately, I do not have make that choice, at least not yet.

cheers, and have a good weekend

wojtek